BUILD NOT FINISHED YET. THIS IS SOLELY NOTE TAKING. DO NOT FOLLOW
I decided to spot weld my own batteries as I enjoy working with them and would like to have the tools to do so in the future. It’s not cost efficient to spot weld your own batteries, and weldless Li-ion kits rarely work well (I found this out the hard way). I’m linking the spot welder and parts I use here because it’s cheap, not chinesium, and open source. I also needed a LiPO battery and charger for the spot welder as the only car battery I had access too was too powerful.
For people not looking to work with batteries, I would recommend reading someone elses guide on how to use LiPO batteries with balance chargers or buying a completed 18650 battery pack.
- DIY Arduino Battery Spot Welder Kit V3.2.3 Full Bundle Lipo Battery
- U.S. Solid Pure Nickel Strip- 0.1x8x100mm 99.6 Percent Nickel
- TURNIGY 5000mAh 3S 11.1V 60C 120C LIPO BATTERY XT90
- Genuine IMAX B6 50W 5A Charger/Discharger 1-6 Cells
- 4x 50PCS Battery Spacer 18650 Radiating Shell EV Pack Plastic Heat Holder Bracket Spacers are recommended for short protection and for easier battery replacement.
- 30x Samsung INR18650-30Q 3000mAh - 15A
- Generic Max 40A Balance Battery Protection Board BMS PCB For 36V 10S 10Packs Li-ion Cell
- FOCBOX Motor Controller
- Turnigy SK8 6374-192KV Sensored Brushless Motor (14P)
- 2.4GHz Transmitter Remote Controller + Receiver + Bind Plug for Skateboard OS917
- Owlsome 90mm Wheels Longboard Flywheels + Owlsome ABEC 7 Precision Bearings, spacers
- Caliber Trucks Cal II 50° RKP Longboard Trucks - set of two
- DIYE Premium Electric Skateboard Motor Mount (Caliber II Truck Compatible) 63mm
- Deck - Anything will work that fits the batteries. I used a beat up 40” pintail longboard deck I found at a pawn shop. Sanded off the damaged design and varnished the wood before clear coating.
- Longboard hardware (8 nuts and bolts, >1”)
- 3 pin connector to XT60 - for charging. Already had this from my ebike. Can be soldered quickly with generic 3 pin connector.
- 10x pairs of XT60 connectors
- 10x pairs of XT90 connectors
- 42V Power Adapter Charger
Notes for others
Building my own battery costs more, but I love working with 18650’s and wanted a spot welder anyway. If using this build as inspiration, consider LiPO’s and a balance charger for cheaper but heavier batteries. You’ll need one for the spot welder anyway.
Don’t try to solder 18650’s! The heat will damage them no matter how fast you try to do it.
Electric skateboarding is not cost efficient or safe compared to electric bikes. They are more of an portable lightweight commuter and fun ride. If you’re looking for a car replacement, I would look towards DIY electric bikes.
I have not tested 3D printing motor mounts or pulleys yet, but I would like to. There is carbon fiber filament that apparently holds well? PLA is heavily not recommended. You could also mill your own out of aluminum if you have the tools. I will try this on a later build.
Obviously, wear a full face helmet.
v0: writing documentation, no working product.